Saturday 30 May 2009

END OF MODULE SELF-EVALUATION

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
Through this module I have learnt a lot more about After Effects and how to use things such as expressions, animation presets, lighting effects and how to create the impression of 3D animation. I feel I have demonstrated these most effectively within the MTV brief, I have also improved my own time management dramatically, keeping on top of 3 briefs at once and my Video Elective which ran for 3 of the 5weeks was a challenge but a rewarding one. Finally I have developed my audio abilities through mixing my own sound tracks along with sound effects, something which is also best exampled in the MTV resolution.
2. What approaches to methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
Through out the 5 weeks I have researched through conventional means of the internet and looking at books but I have also developed my storyboarding techniques, deciding on compositions and movements before moving onto the production. Whilst researching my own and after effects abilities through trial and error animation. In order to test what was capable within my projects. This informs my design development massively as It reveals to me what I can and cannot do within the briefs.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
The strengths in my work lie mainly in the actual production of moving image, within the MTV brief I would say that the animation its self along with the soundtrack was one of the strongest points. Where as I believe the strongest point of my science museum brief is the concept. Which works to leave people wanting more whilst being scientifically understandable.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
I tend to find it hard to develop my ideas and document it before shooting into a final resolution, this is a re-accruing weakness of mine which I am trying to address and am improving on, but generally my development still suffers. Sometimes working longer than I like on development makes me feel I am chasing grades, something that I do not want to do.
Also being a student, time management is one of the hardest things to contend with, I feel that mine is improving but the idea of being lazy is still one of my biggest weaknesses.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
I would do my 2day brief earlier in the 5weeks in order to reduce stress later on.
I would research the 3 briefs right at the start in order to get an understanding of what I was going to do for all of them, this would also prevent stress later on.
I would re mix the sound as my science museum animation is very quite and needs adjusting.
I would attempt to learn how to use MAYA for any 3D animation, this would improve my own skills whilst hopefully improving the aesthetic of my resolution.
And finally I would test animate any smaller animations I might do like the science museum one and any other possible out comes, possibly very quickly but in order to establish which is the best concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment